This story hasn’t been spun this way yet, but the Vikings-Bears game on Monday has all the trappings for a feel-good story. I’m an NFC North kind of guy, but I don’t have a dog in this fight. Here’s the deal…
1. Brett Favre is on the bench. This is the new normal.
2. Joe Webb has never done this whole NFL QB thing before. He was drafted as a wide-receiver. Well, he did complete 2 of his 5 passes this season. So I guess that’s some seasoning.
4. The back-up quarterback was just signed this week. He is an NFL veteran, but, until this week, thought he was retired.
5. The deflated Metrodome has moved the game to the smaller, stadium at University of Minnesota. The frozen, rock-hard playing field was not built to be played in at this time of year. Even the Bears have expressed concern over the field conditions.
6. Joe Webb has never even experienced sub-zero temps, let alone played in them.
7. The Bears are coming off a huge loss at home in the snow to New England. They are hungry.
8. The game is on Monday night. The world’s eyes will be directed on this game.
9. But then there’s this play I found from the preseason. He’s got good legs:
I fully expect the Bear’s defense to pound Webb, but IF he can manage a good game, it will be against a lot of odds.
I’m going to root for him.
Read Full Post »